Monday, December 17, 2007

Are you a pleaser of men?

No, this is not a tipsheet for call girls! I hope the title of this blog does make you think though. I found this verse this morning and wanted to share it.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

As I get older, it seems like I'm concerned less and less about pleasing others, but that is just as wrong if I'm not pleasing God. A couple of years ago at Christmas, I rolled out the red carpet some relatives. Apparently I was way to hospitable, because they now come every other year. As I was rolling my carpet back out, I asked myself... why do I do these things? I'm stressed, therefore my family is stressed. "Family is as Mama does." You have to be a "suthner" to understand that one.
A dear friend told me that all this cooking,cleaning, planning activites, etc. is entertainment... TRUE hospitality is opening up a can of soup, making a PBJ, and sitting down for a nice chat with a cup of coffee. I'm planning on somewhere in the middle this year, maybe PBJ's will be on the menu next year.

Anyhow, I'm really trying to cut back on all the "to-do's" just to please others and make a good impression. I want to please God, not in-laws!!!

I meet many women who are in financial straits because of pleasing others. If you are buying gifts to impress others/guilt/whatever reason, gifts you can't afford...STOP! Most women I counsel are not in a bind because of shoes for themselves. They are in trouble because of what they spend on OTHERS, particularly their kids. I think they greatest thing you can give your kids is love of Christ, love of family, and good money mangement skills. Enough said because I could write a book on this subject.

Back to Galatians... just take a few minutes before you commit to something this holiday whether it involves money, time, or just another casserole. Is it pleasing to God or man?

Most days I don't feel very pleasing to God so I try to surround myself with godly women. I figure they will be willing to distract St. Peter at the gates if need be while I sneak by. Some of us are here to make rules, some of us to break them. Life should be a joy not a chore... so roll up that red carpet and offer the number for the closest hotel... I did and it will truly be a blessed Christmas.

4 comments:

Becky Arnold said...

I am so glad that what we have is hospitality not entertainment! I always enjoy you coming because I don't have to entertain! Thanks for being that kind of friend. Love ya!

Janet said...

Vicki, I found a link on Becky's blog and checked it out. I just realized it is you. I love A Christmas Story. It is my favorite Christmas movie. Says alot about me doesn't it. Anyway, it is great to find your blog. I will be checking in often and commenting every so often. Merry Christmas.
Janet S
Little Rock
Hey, let me know when you are in town again. I would love to see you.

Janet said...

Vicki, I found a link on Becky's blog and checked it out. I just realized it is you. I love A Christmas Story. It is my favorite Christmas movie. Says alot about me doesn't it. Anyway, it is great to find your blog. I will be checking in often and commenting every so often. Merry Christmas.
Janet S
Little Rock
Please see me or call me when you are in town again.
I have enjoyed reading your posts so far. I look forward to more.

Gina said...

VICKI!!!! Oh my gracious, I'm so glad Becky linked to you. I've added you to my bloglines so I can stalk you. ;) I've loved reading your blog. How long will you be here when you come for a visit? Hopefully you'll be here over a Sunday and we'll see you???? We'd love to! We miss you guys so much.