Saturday, December 1, 2007

That time of year... the Christmas funk


It is happening again, just like it has for several years. Thanksgiving is over, the dishes are washed, the Tupperware has all been burped, and I'm ready to decorate. I'm all excited as I put on my favorite Christmas cd's and start to pull tubs out of the attic. To understand my yearly dilemma, you must know about the "tubs". My husband, i.e. Scrooge said many years ago "ENOUGH, you are going to get your Christmas down to where it will all fit in the tubs". (I have red/green tubs for Christmas, pink for Easter, black/orange for Halloween... I know, I have an illness.) Anyhow, I - being the obedient wife did as commanded and got all my Christmas into the tubs. He never needs to know I just simply purchased more tubs. Anyhow, back to the attic...at I was dropping one of many 20 lb. tubs down the stairs to a waiting Ebenezer, he said what he always says. "I don't see what all these decorations have to do with the meaning of Christmas?" Now, I do realize that he is 100% correct, but I'm not going there. I decided I did not want to argue this year, so I sweetly replied that he was right and that maybe we shouldn't bother with the tubs this year. I also said that really"NOTHING we do is relative to the real meaning of Christmas. I will not make dressing and turkey (his most favorite meal), I can return all the presents, we will do nothing special for Christmas... and you can tell the kids!"
Once again, crisis averted and the tubs were all removed from the attic. However, I must admit something is different this year. Maybe its age, maybe its because my kids are too old for Santa, maybe its hormones. But maybe, just maybe it the Holy Spirit... because the tubs are still sitting here, a week later. I don't feel like decorating. I do feel that we do lot of things this time of year that has nothing to do with God sending Jesus to this earth. Are we more thankful for that close parking spot at Wal-mart than for God's own son? Am I much more concerned about getting an annoying relative out of my hair rather than in to heaven? I think this will be a different Christmas. We will have a simple barn service on Christmas Eve. I have limited my giving, already returned some presents- to a local orphanage. I don't want my kids to just know the real meaning of Christmas... I want them to live it, everyday. There will never be a "tubless" Christmas at my house, but I'm determined there will never be a pointless Christmas either.

2 comments:

Becky Arnold said...

Ouch! That hit a nerve. I am right where you are and I loved reading your honesty. I wish we were closer so we could do some service things together with the kids! I miss you, friend. And I'm glad you are here!

Becky

Autumn said...

you're a terrific writer! I enjoyed reading your post.