Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lessons from quilting

Two blogs in one morning? Can you tell I'm avoiding cleaning my house? I just wanted to share what I've learned from quilting. It is truly a labor of love, those amish women that charge $800 for a quilt earn every penny of it!!! If I had to choose between prostitution (stop laughing) and quilting for a living... let's just say I'd be sore and it wouldn't be my fingers. Anyhow, one thing I've grown to appreciate through quilting is the big picture. You can't see it when your head is bent and you're feverishly working on a quilt (or life). Even when you look up and try to view the big pic (or dream it) you just can't see it... only God can sometimes, but it's still there. That's the main thing. Here are a few other things that have been brought to my attention through quilting.

1. Listen to advice of others that have been there... no, don't just listen but treasure this advice.
2. Don't hurry with something that is a worthwhile project (see my first quilt).
3. Invest in the good stuff if you want it to last, i.e. don't buy fabric at Wal-Mart (again, see 1st quilt).
4. Any great endeavor requires blood, sweat, and tears but it's worth it (see several squares of 1st quilt, do you notice a pattern here?)
5. When you are doing something for someone, focus on the love you have for that special person, not the project at hand. I love to quilt for someone special but you couldn't pay me enough to do it for a stranger. If I get frustrated, I think about how special this person is and how much they will enjoy this quilt. This frame of mind also comes in handy when you have to clean up throw up at 3 a.m.

My children are drawing pictures on the furniture dust... I must get busy.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Hey girl...try to comment on my blog now. If it won't let you - let me know (send me an email - I'll tell Becky to send you my email address. I don't want to post it)